Here is an alternative method to run Ubuntu 10.04 on a Mac without actually installing it on your internal hard disk.
The idea is to install Ubuntu on your USB flash disk, instead of installing it on your internal hard drive. I'm talking about a full disk installation. It won't be treated as a persistent USB, but as a real internal hard disk. For my previous article on the same topic, see Part 1.
- Windows PC
- Intel based Mac
- 16GB USB Sandisk Cruzer Blade flash disk
- A persistent Ubuntu 10.04 USB
Step 1 Boot Ubuntu on Your PC
For this method, I'm using a 2.0 GHz Dell Optiplex SX260 with 625mb Ram.ubu.
Insert the persistent USB. Enter setup by pressing F2, F10 or F12 to change your boot settings (the specific key depends on your PC).
Choose to boot from the USB HD or USB FDD.
Step 2 Install Ubuntu
Usually, there's an icon on your desktop to install Ubuntu. If not, go to System > Administration > Install RELEASE.
Step 3 Select Region, Keyboard Settings, Input User Name, etc.
This should be self-explanatory, right? You'll need to unmount all partitions.
- Input your region.
- Select your keyboard layout.
- Unmount partitions.
Step 4 Partition the Hard Drive
Under "Prepare Disk Space," choose the USB flash (sdb, sdc etc.), and then erase and use the entire hard disk. Note that I used two different USBs so as not to mistake one for the other.
- Choose your target USB.
- Input your username, host, and password.
- Now click "Install".
- Wait until it's finished.
Step 5 Install rEFIt on Mac
Using your Mac, google and download rEFIt.
Double click the .dmg file and install. Note that rEFIt needs to be blessed so that it can automatically run everytime you boot your Mac.
- Activate the program by typing sudo sh /efi/refit/enable.sh on the terminal.
Step 6 Boot Ubuntu USB on Mac
Now we're ready to run Ubuntu on your Mac. Give it a try!
Just connect to the internet to install additional hardware drivers. Go to: System> Administration> Hardware Drivers.
Note: This will not boot on a regular PC.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades