Whenever a new hard drive is purchased for a computer, it needs to be formatted to work with that computer. Formatting a hard drive on a Macintosh computer is a fairly easy process.
1. Open the system drive, usually titled "Macintosh HD." Open Applications, then Utilities, and double click the "Disk Utility" program to open it. A window will open giving a list of all the drives currently mounted on the computer.
2. Select the disk that needs to be formatted on the left. It is not possible to format the start-up disk unless the system has booted from the Install Disk. It is important to note that formatting the start-up disk will permanently erase the data stored on the disk. If you are planning on erasing the start-up disk, back up all important files and applications.
3. Click on the "Erase" tab to the right of the list of drives. The window will now display the options for erasing the hard drive and formatting it to work on the Macintosh computer.
4. Select the Volume Format from the pop-up list. In most cases it's best to leave it at "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as this is the default. This setting is the best option for running Mac OS X. If there are other requirements for the disk, then select the format that best suits your needs. If you have questions about the formats, refer to the Apple user's manual.
5. Name the hard drive. Type a name for the disk in the field where it asks for a name. This name will always appear when the disk is mounted on a Macintosh computer.
6. Click the erase button. A window will open asking to verify the erase procedure. Click the erase button in this window to start the process of erasing the disk. Once the process is complete, the drive will appear with the name it was given on the left side of the window with the list of drives and on the desktop of the Macintosh computer.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades