Linux is generally a pretty stable OS, but occasionally things happen. However, as long as your keyboard has a SysRq key, you'll never need to worry about freezes again.
The SysRq key functions allow you to perform various low level commands, even when your system is unresponsive. It can be used to recover from freeze-ups or to safely reboot without corrupting the filesystem.
To check that the SysRq key is enabled on your machine, simply enter this terminal command:
If it returns a "1", you're good to go. If it returns a 0, you can enable it yourself by running this command as root:
echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
You now have a kernel option fittingly called the "Magic SysRq Key". Here are some of the more useful shortcuts you now have access to, although there are many more out there if you are curious.
- Alt+SysRq+r will return control of an unresponsive keyboard.
- Alt+SysRq+b to reboot without umounting or sync.
- Alt+SysRq+k to kill all programs on the current virtual console, including X.
- Alt+SysRQ+e sends SIGTERM to all processes except init, cleanly ending running processes.
- Alt+SysRQ+i sends SIGKILL to all processes except init, which can be used to end any processes that didn't close with "e".
- Alt+SysRQ+s syncs your system, flushing data from your cache to your disk.
To safely shut down after a particularly nasty kernel panic, HowToGeek recommends using the REISUB method. Press and hold down the magic SysRq combination (Alt + SysRq) and typing the following keys in order, slowly.
- r to return keyboard control to you.
- e to terminate all processes.
- i to kill any processes that weren't ended by SIGTERM.
- s to flush your data
- u to remount file systems
- b to reboot the computer.
Do you know any other good tricks using the SysRq key? If so, let us know in the comments!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades